The Friends of the River Frome is a group of people who feel passionately about the state of the Somerset River Frome and its surroundings.
Our activities include
- the strictly practical (working parties)
- the necessary (finding grants to do work on steep banks)
- the forward-looking (negotiating development of the river's environment with all the interested parties)
- and the more leisurely (outings)
This website will tell you more about the Friends, who we are, what we do, the variety of activities for you and how you can join us.
In short, if you care for the River Frome, then Friends of the River Frome is for you!
- River Frome restocked with fish after pollution incident
- Good news!Following the terrible pollution incident in May of this year which killed over 1,600 fish, the Environment Agency has today introduced around 5,500 fish back into the River Frome at Welshmill and Whatcombe Fields.These were a mix of chub, roach and bream with plans to also stock dace into the river next year. Hopefully enough of these young fish will survive long enough to spawn and help fish populations recover. (24/11/16)
- FROME RIVER FESTIVAL 17th to 22nd July
- Bristol Avon Rivers Trust are kindly sponsoring a festival to raise awareness of the River Frome including its wildlife, its challenges and the partnerships which exist to try and improve it. Come along to the evening talks at the Frome Medical Centre or the family activity day on the Saturday. For further information follow this link. (22/06/16)
- River bank litter swept!
- On 7 June seven River Friends spent an hour with litter tools long and short. From the library to the Water Treatment bridge were left immaculate. (12/06/16)
- Fish Habitat Work wc March 14th and 21st
- We will need volunteer 'labourers' (of any ability) to work on this exciting habitat project and help make the grant money go further. Two sites, one at Rodden Meadow and one at Weylands on weekdays and Saturdays 263 24. This project is sponsored by the Environment Agency to improve fish habitat and encourage a greater public interest in fishing. Let us know if you are interested. Contact Nick 01373 471687 (02/03/16)
- Clean for the Queen Litter pick Sat 5th March 10 til 12
- Join us for a litter pick as part of the national Clean for the Queen in celebration of her 90th birthday. Bring sensible shoes and gardening gloves. For further information follow this link. (01/03/16)
- Love Your River Day! 13th Feb 10am to 3pm Frome Canoe Club
- An event to publicize EA funded work to improve the fish habitat in the town. To include a litter pick; information about monitoring river health, canoeing and angling; and an opportunity to learn about the habitat improvements. Jeremy Wade of River Monster fame will be wading in too. Find out how these tie in with Somerset Wildlife Trust and the ideas of re-wilding that many of you may have heard about. For further information follow this link. (11/02/16)
- AGM Feb 9th 7:30pm @ Frome Canoe Club
- All welcome for our AGM. Guest speaker Chris Stringer, Environment Officer for Frome Town Council. Chris has a number of projects in hand so come and find out what the Council is up to on our behalf! He is an engaging speaker with a wealth of expertise and it will be good to hear about this important and interesting work. Oh, and tea and biscuits of course... (11/01/16)