The Friends of the River Frome is a group of people who feel passionately about the state of the Somerset River Frome and its surroundings.
Our activities include
- the strictly practical (working parties)
- the necessary (finding grants to do work on steep banks)
- the forward-looking (negotiating development of the river's environment with all the interested parties)
- and the more leisurely (outings)
This website will tell you more about the Friends, who we are, what we do, the variety of activities for you and how you can join us.
In short, if you care for the River Frome, then Friends of the River Frome is for you!
- Fun way to prevent pollution Saturday 24 March
- Join Frome Recreation and Open Ground Supporters at 3pm outside the library. We will be painting a yellowish symbol on storm drains to draw attention to the dangers to the river from pollution. (16Mar)
- Cancelled Litterpick
- Litterpick on March 3rd is cancelled due to weather conditions. We hope to see you in April. (2Mar)
- 2018 AGM, 7.30pm, Tuesday 6th February at Frome Canoe Club
Our guest speaker this year will be Zoe Hancock, who is the Catchment Coordinator for the Bristol Avon Catchment Partnership. The partnership comprises a range of organisations, groups and authorities dedicated to improving the water environment, and providing wider benefits for people and nature: The Catchment-Based Approach.
Free refreshments will be provided.(17Jan)
- 2017 AGM
- Our AGM will be on Tuesday 6th February, in the Canoe Club. We are planning to give you the background to the Stream Clean Team's work in the Dippy. Watch this space for more news. (21Oct)
- Litter Picking 2017
- Our litter-picking season is over for this year. Thanks to all of you who have come along on a Saturday morning to help, and we hope to see you when we restart in the new year. In the light of recent reports about the quantities of plastic found in our oceans, and the damage done to wildlife, just picking up a plastic bottle really does do something to save the planet. (21Oct)
- Why Trout? A talk on Nonendangered Species Conservation
- You are cordially invited to a talk by MIKE BLACKMORE Conservation Officer for the Wild Trout Trust on Tuesday 7th FEBRUARY 7:30pm THE CANOE CLUB, MARKET YARD CAR PARK BA11 1BE. Mike is an extremely experienced conservation professional and an engaging speaker who has managed many fish improvement projects including the project completed last year working with Friends of the River Frome, Frome Town Council and Frome Angling Club to improve fish habitat. If you care about yo (26Jan)